Friday, November 15, 2013

Laptop Review: Dell Inspiron 15

So I changed my laptop a while back (post here). I mentioned I would do a review 1 month after getting this laptop in this post, but I got busy, and so, here's a post to compensate it.

So the first three weeks after getting this laptop, I had a person representing Dell coming down each week. First week was the charger. There was no light but it was charging. They decided to replace it anyway. So the logistics side lady called me to tell me they would be coming down to change a charger, but apparently she gave me the whole day to wait. So I asked if there is any specific window. She told me 9-12 and 12-6. So I said, ok, since that week was e-learning week and I would be in my room except lunch. So guess when the guy came, at  12.17pm, and I was out for lunch. So he passed me the charger at another part of the campus and then had to come again (the third week) to collect the old charger. Second week was the WiFi. I didn't detect any WiFi although I was in range of a few signals from NUS and Yale-NUS' staff's and eduroam. So I called Dell and the lady over the phone couldn't fix it and wrote a log for a Dell guy to come down to change the WiFi card. While she was writing the log, I resolved the issue by clicking the "Fix Connection" button in IE. But the guy still came down anyway (and one hour late), and didn't change the card cause it wasn't a hardware problem... -.-

Ok that said, things I DON'T like about this laptop:

- The screen can't be tilted pass 100 - 110 degrees
- The keyboard is just... weird. I have a problem switching to the other keyboards now
- The screen (brightness). However bright (or dim) I set it, I still will see my reflections and other stuff behind me when there is sun... No matter which angle I sit facing the sun.
- It's heavy... 2.3kg. Plus the charger... a nightmare

I know I said weight wasn't a problem... Until I had to carry it around for other projects. Sigh.

things i DO like about this laptop:

- The screen is big. :) I love big screens
- The processor is quite fast (I mean is you have 12GB RAM, i7 Haswell and it's still slow... something must be wrong)
- It has 4 USB ports!!! :) one for mouse, one for (presentation) clicker, one for thumbdrive/harddisk, one for backup. Haha.

The texture of this laptop is not something I like or do not like, but it's something most of my friends like. They keep touching the laptop and say the texture is very nice to touch.

So, that's about it for now.

No comments: